Dissertation
Dissertation > Medicine, health > Clinical > Nursing > Specialist nursing > Neuropathy,psychiatric nursing

Quality of life and nutritional assessment of elderly dysphagia

Author HanWeiJia
Tutor GuoHongWei
School Fudan University
Course Public Health
Keywords elder dysphagia life quality nutrition assessment
CLC R473.74
Type Master's thesis
Year 2011
Downloads 72
Quotes 0
Download Dissertation

ObjectiveTo investigate the prevalence of dysphagia in elder, evaluate the life quality, nutrition situation and dietary intake of elder, and provide the method of improving their nutritional status.MethodsThe reseatch was corss sectional study. Subjects aged 60 and over were lived in 6 nursing institutions. The prevalence of dysphagia in elder and relation factors with dysphagia was acquired by questionnaires. The life quality in elder with dysphagia was evaluated by quality life index. Their nutritional status and intake of nutrients in these subjects were analyzed by BMI、MNA-SF and 24 hours dietary recall.Results1、There were 931 subjects in 6 nursing institutions. The median age of subjects was 83.94 years old, the max was 103 years old. The prevalence of dysphagia was 32.5%. The prevalence was no difference between genders and increased with age.2、There were more than three symptoms in 21.8% old patients with dysphagia. Only 14.9% dysphagia had one symptom.65.9% of old patients with dysphagia had 2 grade or above.3、There was 10.8% of elder with lower BMI.55.9% of which with dysphagia. The incidence of malnutrition was 16.3% in total subjects. The prevalence of patients with potential malnutrition risk was 34.1%. The incidence of malnutrition in older patients with dysphagia was 40.3%, The prevalence of dysphagia with potential malnutrition risk was 38.6%. The total incidence of malnutrition was 78.9% in dysphagia. The prevalence of malnutrition in dysphagia was higher than subjects without dysphagia. Compared to the Chinese DRIs, The intakes of nutrients were lower in dysphagia except manganese, magnesium, phosphor, vitamin E and vitamin PP. The dietary structure in dysphagia was not good, grains,vegetable. the intake of bean and dairy were lower than DRIs (China elder dietary balance pagoda).4、The score of life quality index in subjects was 8.02±2.03. The score of life quality index in elder with dysphagia was 4.83±2.43, which was lower than other elder. The score in woman was worse than man. Woman with low and high score were more than man. The elder with dysphagia were worse than other elder in activity, normal life, health, family support and inspirit.5、44.2% of subjects with dysphagia had stroke historys, their chew and swallow malfunction were 25.1% and 19.5% respectively. There were other chronic diseases, such as respiratory disease, AD, and so on.3.3% of Subjects with dysphagia used phenobarbital. The duration of Phenobarbital taking was longer in woman than in man.6、Some elder with dysphagia had bad dietary pattern. There was 26.7% of subjects without eating quietly,18.7% without good eating pose,56.3% not eating by themselves.47.6% of elder with dysphagia had food in mouth after meal.65.2% of subjects used uncomfortable tool.Conclusion1、There was high incidence of dysphagia in elder. There was no difference in prevalence of dysphagia between genders and increased with age. Subjects had dyaphagia with many symptoms.2、The elder with dysphagia had poor nutrition situation, which had a higher ration of Malnutrition and potential malnutrition risk. A lot of nutrients intakes were lower compared with DRIs,The dietary structure in dysphagia was not good, the intake of grains,vegetable, bean and dairy were lower than recommendation of China elder dietary balance pagoda.3、Life quality in dysphagia was worse than normal elder, espectialy for old women with dysphagia.4、Hew and swallow malfunction, cerebrovascular diseases, neural disease, mental drugs and bad eating habits might relate with dysphagia in elder.

Related Dissertations
More Dissertations